Employabilities /Employment Counsellor
Added: 13 March 2023
TDCSS fosters an environment of continuous learning and a work culture of professional development. All employees of TDCSS are expected to participate in ongoing professional growth and development activities.
Assesses clients’ interests, skills, abilities and work readiness. Finds and advises clients of employment opportunities. Supports and provides skill development to clients in areas related to obtaining and retaining employment.
1. Assesses clients’ interests, skills, abilities and readiness as they relate to obtaining and retaining employment and identifies barriers to employment.
2. Finds employment opportunities for clients. Contacts potential employers in order to obtain job leads, promote the program and develop relationships. Helps clients develop employment opportunities such as upgrade in skills and qualifications or develops a self employment enterprise.
3. Provides clients with information on employment opportunities that are compatible with their interests, skills and abilities by analyzing available jobs and identifying specific tasks to match jobs to clients.
4. Provides support and skill development in areas related to obtaining employment such as job search strategies, job application, resume writing and interview skills.
5. Maintains and provides current employment-related information such as labour market information, employment standards regulations and information on other community resources and services.
6. Conducts group sessions such as information sessions, workshops and job finding clubs.
7. Follows up on job placements by assisting employers to work with clients through orientation and education.
8. Maintains related records in accordance with established policies and guidelines and produces reports as required.
9. Liaises with community service providers in order to promote the program.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
This position is open to applicants of all genders
Hours: 35 hours/week
Shifts: Days & Evenings, including some WEEKENDS
Wage: $24.55 (Grid 10 union wage grid)
Changes to the posted work schedule may occur based on operational requirements. Must be willing to be flexible.
Start Date: ASAP
- A relevant diploma or certificate with experience providing service to people who have a developmental disability
- Mandt or Crisis Prevention Training
- TDCSS Training modules
- Other relevant training/workshop
One (1) year recent related experience. Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Experience in working with people with challenging behaviors
- Experience in working with people who have a dual-diagnosis
- Experience working with people to facilitate change and independence
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Proven problem-solving ability
- Ability to liaise with outside agencies
- Physical fitness level that meets the needs of the individuals
- Able to follow programs as set out by program supervisor
- Ability to adapt to meet the clients’ emotional and developmental changes
- Time management and organizational skills
- Ability to perform housekeeping duties such as mopping, dusting, emptying garbage, cleaning and laundry.
- Demonstrated competency in written & verbal communication
- Provide for medical and personal needs of persons served in a respectful, proactive manner as directed by the Supervisor and/or the persons’ served service plan
- Signed Declaration of Fitness
- Compliance with health immunization requirements
- Proven ability to complete computerized case management documentation
- Access to a personal vehicle with Business Insurance with the ability to transport persons served
- Acceptable driver’s abstract
- Valid BCDL class 5
An equivalent of education and/or experience will be considered for this job. Job Descriptions are available upon request from the TDCSS Human Resources Office.
Pay and Benefits will be in accordance with TDCSS and BCGEU Local 312 Collective Agreement. This position requires union membership.
TDCSS is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, however only successful applicants will be contacted.
Please apply for each posting that you are interested in separately, even if you have previously applied with TDCSS.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $24.55 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Covid considerations: Fully vaccinated candidate should apply